Tortilla soup is one of many delicious dishes that comprise Mexico’s culinary history. If you want to make it for yourself, we suggest you try our recipe below, provided by our Executive Chef Hipolito de Anda. If you’d rather have it made by the experts, you’ll be able to find this dish at all of our Club Regina resorts.
10 Roma tomatoes
1 White onion
1 Head of garlic
1 Stick of celery
8 ½ Cups of chicken broth
1 or 2 Guajillo peppers
1 Pasilla pepper
17 oz. Fried corn tortillas
1 Bunch of epazote or cilantro
2 tbsp. Chicken bouillon granules
7 oz. Panela cheese
- Cut the Roma tomatoes into wedges and combine with chopped white onion, garlic, and celery. Add mixture to a pot and saute for three minutes or until the onion is golden brown. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Slice the Guajillo peppers and remove the seeds. Add the peppers, 6 oz. of the fried corn tortillas, and epazote or cilantro to the broth and cook at medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Season with chicken bouillon granules and salt to taste, blend, and strain. The consistency must be creamy.
- Cut the Panela cheese and avocado into cubes. Slice the Pasilla pepper into strips and fry it.
- Combine the cheese, avocado, Pasilla pepper, and fried corn tortilla strips in individual bowls. Pour the soup over these ingredients and add sour cream to taste.